Review of Hemodialysis for Nurses and Dialysis Personnel, 9th Edition
Get a practical introduction to dialysis and an excellent review for the certification exam! Review of Hemodialysis for Nurses and Dialysis Personnel, 9th Edition uses a concise Q&A format to cover the principles, diseases, and problems of dialysis treatment for kidney failure. Comprehensive without being overwhelming, this book assumes no prior knowledge of dialysis procedures. Two new chapters and five updated chapters keep you current with the latest in dialysis treatment and equipment. Dialysis expert Judy Kallenbach provides clear, easy-to-read guidelines that will apply to every member of the dialysis team, from technicians and nurses to social workers and kidney patients.
- Comprehensive coverage provides the complete knowledge needed to care for dialysis patients and to prepare for the certification exam, with topics including a review of body fluids and electrolytes, infection control, transplantation, and the important psychosocial aspects of dialysis treatment.
- Easy-to-understand style introduces new terms and concepts without assuming prior knowledge of dialysis.
- Question-and-answer format makes learning easier and information easier to find.
- Coverage of the entire lifespan helps in caring for patients of different ages, including separate chapters on pediatric hemodialysis and end-stage renal disease in the elderly.
- Coverage of home dialysis therapies prepares technicians for the use of home dialysis treatment as a possible cost-cutting measure.
- More than 70 illustrations depict all aspects of dialysis treatment and care.
- A multidisciplinary approach includes a chapter on the different roles in the hemodialysis team, describing how dialysis care is coordinated and what patients go through during their treatment.
- Useful appendices offer quick reference to the sodium and potassium content of various foods, the calculation of body mass index, nephrology organizations and resources, a glossary, and more.
- NEW Patient Education chapter and NEW Preceptor Basics chapter discuss new areas covered on the dialysis PCT certification exams.
- UPDATED! The Hemodialysis Team chapter provides the latest information on certification requirements for dialysis technicians.
- UPDATED! Water Treatment chapter reflects new water treatment standards and documentation requirements.
- UPDATED! Infection Control chapter covers techniques used to prevent patients and staff from acquiring infections, including improved tracking, prevention, and hemodialysis hand hygiene.
- UPDATED! Laboratory Data: Analysis and Interpretation chapter shows normal lab values and results that should be further evaluated, and expands on GFR as related to the five stages of chronic kidney disease.
- UPDATED! Diabetes and Hemodialysis chapter covers the medications and therapies used for diabetic patients, and includes KDOQI recommendations for CKD care.